Joey's blog thing

Friday, November 03, 2006

my first blood donation

Hi all...well I thought I'd tell about my very interesting day...as you can probably tell by my title I gave blood for the first time today...one would think it would be quite easy - I thought it was a brilliant idea...since blood type O and A are the most common here in the UK, I thought my B+ would be nice to donate - being that apparently only 8% of the population have it...so off I went with helen a friend of mine...filled out the forms...waited...and finally got hooked up to the machine thing...completed my donation of a pint and just as they took out the needle I felt light headed and whoozy...and then completely passed out..apparently to the point of a seizure - they've actually banned me from giving blood for the next few years and the head nurse wrote a referal letter for the doctor to review...it was very embarassing...when I finally came through I saw 2-3 nurses who calling my name and telling me to wake up, and stay with them and they kept asking me if I could hear them...in my head I kept answering yes but I then realized my mouth wasn't actually saying what my brain was saying... and apparently to prevent scaring the other patients, the nurses baracaded me with screens and things...again very embarrassing. Oh well I tried!!!

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that's terrible! I feel so bad for you Joey! I've given blood before (I think I'm o but can't remember). I don't know why I don't do it more often b/c it's not like its a big sacrifice or inconvenience or anything & it actually saves lives...But hey, at least you have a good story to tell, like the time I walked into a screen door.....

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not another seizure! Is that 3 now? And you'd gone so long without having one, too.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never donated but I know that I should. I have AB neg which is the rarest I think. They want my plasma. That sounds painful! After having tattoos and babies, I've only been eligible just recently but after hearing your story...Yikes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home