Joey's blog thing

Thursday, November 16, 2006

hospital visit

went on a hospital visit yesterday...I quite like those - we get to talk to sweet old ladies who love to tell you everything that ever happened to them...ever... definately develops your listening skills... the thing with yesterdays visit however was that we had to present the histories back to the senior house officer...its aweful - only because I absolutly suck at presenting a history - mostly because my horrible GP makes me feel horrible when I present to him...now I get nervous presenting to anyone - even the nice ones that don't yet at you...grrr - its very annoying when you have all the information but you can't put it together....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...it was very much like the episode of ER where Dr. Carter just started as an intern and he had to present to Dr. Benton...nerve racking....its a good thing our SHO was really nice - I literally would have cried otherwise... I started my spiel and when he interupted me - my mind went completely blank - I'm not even joking, it was horrible...its a good thing we did it in pairs - I turned to Christine and all I could manage to get out was "do you want to take it from here?" She read the notes and the SHO said it was perfect...Anywho, I'm going tomorrow to practise my history presenting skils..fun fun

On a positive note, I abolutely love the hospital I'm assigned to...its nottingham City hospital which is the cities oldest...its very much like taking a step back in time - almost like your working during WWII. all the buildings are made off old brick and inside the wards you have the classic white steal beds separated by curtains - actually part of it was dedicated to returning soldiers during the war...ie. if you've seen pearl harbour - it looks exactly like that...very very cool...and the people there are really really nice...very down to earth...a nice change to the 'formal' consultants who think you can't be a good doctor if you don't dress in a suit everyday...
heres a picture of the surgical ward:

1 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Sounds like a neat place to work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home